Saturday, September 20, 2008

***Introduction***

My name is Nicholas Matthews, however I would prefer that you called me “Nick”.  I am senior majoring in Sports Management with a minor in General Business.  My career goal is to become an athletic director for a Division 1 school.  I plan on obtaining my master’s in Sports Adminstration here at BGSU.   On campus I am a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., National Pan-Hellenic Council, Sports Management Alliance, and Black Student Union. 

 

Sports have always played a major role in my life and my career decisions, especially since I grew up in a small town that worshiped basketball.  I grew up in a town that was sort of like the basketball version of the movie “Friday Night Lights”. My decision to attend BGSU was solely made of the merit of the award winning Sports Management program.  Of course I have the traditional story of wanting to play professional sports as young kid growing up, however I chose the educational path in life and here I am today.  Nonetheless, I was a respectable athlete I played basketball, football, baseball, and track in high school.  I excelled in football, and even had a few scholarship opportunities from a few small football programs in the mid-west area.  Why I turned those scholarships down remains a mystery till this day.

 

Growing up I never thought I would become the man that I am today, I never thought I would be a “Frat Guy”, I never thought I would stop playing sports, I never thought I would even go to college let alone attended BGSU.  It’s amazing how my life turned out and how my life could have turned out; I appreciate every opportunity I’ve obtained and the blessings that I’ve received along the way.   My most memorable sports moment was watching the 2007 NBA Draft.  On of my close friends was drafted by the New York Knicks in the first round with the 22nd pick Wilson ChandlerThis was an amazing moment for me; I’ve met Zach Randolph, Nate Robinson, and Eddy Curry and been to multiple New York Knick games already.

 

I’m excited for this class and especially for this project, because I love to write and I enjoy sports.  This project is a great opportunity for me I always wanted to have my own blog.  If you are familiar with Gilbert Arenas’ blog on NBA.com he inspired me to pick this topic for my final project. I expect to learn a lot about gender and its reference to sport while achieving success in this class

1 comment:

The Tennis Prof Chronicles said...

Good to know that you would prefer to be called Nick:-) It sounds like you are already very active in a number of different organizations, which should help a lot in preparing you for a job as an Athletic Director. I am glad that you plan to attend grad school here at BGSU as well.

I like how you describe the town in which you grew up as a "basketball version" of "Friday night lights." That was a memorable book, so I can envision what that environment must have been like. I do not think you will regret having chosen the educational pathway, even though playing professional sports can be an education in itself. It is interesting to look back and see how certain decisions that we have made along the way shape the direction of our lives. Have you stopped playing sports altogether, or do you still play intramurals? I am like you in a sense because I never thought I would stop playing tennis. Hopefully I will play again one of these days.

That must have been exciting to see your friend Wilson Chandler get drafted in the first round! I think ESPN: Outside the Lines did a special on his team mate Eddy Curry--does he have a heart condition? I was thinking other teams did not want to take a chance on him, but the Knicks were willing to take a chance. Is that the same person?

I have never read entries on Gilbert Arenas' blog, but I have heard about things that he writes (about his rivalry with Lebron). Feel free to refer to things that Arenas writes about if they relate to our class. I look forward to reading more of your blog entries. Your introduction is a great start!