Friday, October 3, 2008

Was she Blocked or Groped

The more I read about Title IX, the more interesting it becomes. The article, “Was she Blocked or Groped?” by Davis Sheremata , features a very interesting issue. The article discusses the issue of females playing in violent contact sports such as football, and some issues of sexual harassment during play.

I think this article is really about safety in coed sports. I don’t think females should participate in football. The physicality of football is just too much for females, hell; it is even too much for some males. My head football coach in high school would always tell us, “Everybody aint made to play football, if they were the whole school would be out here.” Football is a brutal game, and from my personal experience I can clearly say that it’s not a sport that should be played coed. In the article Alega Nuu is a 14 year old offensive tackle for the Edmonton Seahawks. Miss Nuu argued that one of her opponents reached under her pads and grabbed her chest during play. This is typical behavior in football. Defensive linemen are taught to get under your pads to gain leverage it is a technique, so this alleged touching of her chest was more than likely incidental. I have experience playing with a female on my high school football team; first hand I can tell you it did not work out to well. There are a lot of sports that can and are coed but I don’t think football should be one of them. The question is chest block or breast grab? I say a little bit of both it’s the nature of the game.

1 comment:

The Tennis Prof Chronicles said...

I am glad that you shared your insights about playing football, especially since you also played against a girl. I think wrestling is probably one of the only other sports that may have comparable contact. I have seen several videos in which the contact in wrestling is referred to similar to how you described the "chest block." The wrestlers (male and female) who spoke about the incidental contact that occurred, suggested that it was just part of the competition, and not anything about gender. Still, I can see where the sports with more physical contact might be more questionable. However, as long as there is the case of someone like Holley Mangold (Nick Mangold's sister), who played on her High School football team, it seems to me that girls should be given the opportunity to compete--even if there are sensitive issues that might accompany their participation.